I’m a lover of the cheat day. Notice the singular version of the word “day.” When it comes to food, if I allow myself a cheat day, I go there full-throttle, but the next day, no matter the leftovers situation, I’m back on track.
Mostly, I plan for the cheat day, declaring it in advance, knowing it will involve, say, cheesecake and a hot fudge sundae and french fries. Or if it’s an upcoming event, I declare it as a cheat day well in advance, and I allow myself whatever I want at that event. I don’t, on that day, because it’s “cheat day” start my day with a spaghetti sandwich. I save the “cheat” for the actual event, eating normally the rest of the day.
Sometimes, though, I have accidental cheat days—days I hadn’t intended to be cheat days. The other night, for example, Abigail and I were watching HELLO DOLLY—as part of my “Oscar Cheat Sheet Adventure” where I’m introducing Oscar-winning movies to the kids via Netflix (also perfect to do after the kids see all the Oscar Sunday hullabaloo), and she plunked down beside me on the sofa with a bag of crunchy Cheetos. TRIGGER FOOD. I cannot say no to Cheetos. They’re a childhood favorite, and I can’t help myself. I start by just smelling, but the inhale leads to inhaling the entirety of the bag. Fair enough: enter the accidental cheat day.
Speaking of cheat day, how many of you cheat on your family members by “sneaking ahead” in your binging? I’ve certainly returned home to find Phil nearly finished with a series we’d started together. “Oh, you wanted me to wait?” Yuh, like you didn’t know.
This Oscar Sunday, there will be no cheating, because I only allow myself one per week, and I have an upcoming event on Friday. But, we’ll be celebrating as we always do with buckets of popcorn, movie theater candy, and pigs in blankets. Cake and cocktails for our “Pajamas + Pearls” annual Oscar Night celebration. Which means I need a game plan. Cascade Ice sent me these sugar-free, carb-free, calorie-free sparkling waters, and they’ll be part of the plan. They’re naturally flavored with juice, but not so much that there are added carbs or calories. Sometimes you just need a pretty drink in a pretty glass to elevate your everything. Kid-Friendly, Anti-Cheat-Day-Friendly Recipes to be posted later today or tomorrow when I make them… and my Oscar Cheat Sheet picks are below:
La La Lemon-berry Drop
· Cocktail Shaker
· Cascade Ice Lemonade
· Lemon slice
· Sugar for Garnish (optional)
1. Start with 3 muddled raspberries at the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
2. Add a handful of ice
3. 1 oz of vodka and 4 oz of Cascade Ice Lemonade.
4. Swirl the mixture around
5. Strain into a sugar-rimmed glass
6. Garnish with a lemon slice or a couple raspberries on a pick
The Mathmatician’s Moonshine
· Cascade Ice Huckleberry Blackberry
· Lemon sliced
· Sugar for garnish (optional)
· Mint leaves
1. Start with 3 muddle blackberries in a cocktail shaker
2. Add Ice
3. Combine 1 oz of Bourbon and 6 oz of Huckleberry Blackberry Cascade Ice into the shaker
4. Squeeze one lemon slice into the mixture and then give it a nice stir
5. Strain the blackberry goodness into a sugar-rimmed glass
6. Garnish with blackberries and a mint leaf and enjoy (the mint aromatics make a difference!)
Octavia’s Orangesicle Float
(can use with Halo Top in lieu of traditional Vanilla Ice Cream)
· Tall Glass
· Vanilla Ice Cream
· Cascade Ice Orange Mango
· Orange Slice (Optional)
· Spoon and Straw
1. In a tall glass, put two scoops of your favorite vanilla ice cream
2. Next, pour Cascade Ice Orange Mango over the ice cream until the glass if full
3. Garnish with an orange slice if desired
4. Serve with a spoon and a straw
KID-FRIENDLY OSCARS CHEAT SHEET
(For Adult Cheats Click Here)
With none other than Barbara Streisand + Louis Armstrong! Plus, Hello Dolly is coming to Broadway, starring my cosmic twin Bette Midler, so it was the perfect intro. Watch Hello Dolly »
As a Netflix #StreamTeam member...
In exchange for sharing 1 post each month about Netflix programming, I receive a subscription to Netflix. Though I often share more often because I overshare like it’s a sport. Opinions are all mine. Post contains an affiliate link.