no more man bra!

June 4, 2009

illness

DSC_2394 I haven’t seen Phil yet, but the doctor just told me all went well. No complications, other than the vein being small, where he needed to insert the third lead, so he went ahead and used the smaller lead that’s still on clinical trial (Model 4396 Left Ventricular Lead). He now has a combination ICD-CRT device implanted, which paces his heart in both ventricles to improve his heart’s pumping ability and does the job of that man bra (which he’ll no longer need now that he has a built-in defibrillator).

Just wanted to update you all, and express how truly thankful I am for all your warm wishes and prayers. You’re such a comfort to me.

The doc told me I should be on the watch for some other changes that I notice in the coming weeks. "I don’t want to bias you," he said, "but YOU’LL be able to tell me if you notice any changes with him."
"Positive changes?" Phil’s mother asked.
"But it’s not like he’s had any symptoms to begin with."
"Yes, positive changes, and it’s not what you think. It’s not like you’ll see him running really fast around the block or anything."
"Does this involve his penis?" I asked, "Because the way you’re talking, all ‘OH, YOU’LL notice a difference in him,’ well, my mind goes downtown."
"Ha! No, that’s not what I meant, but again, I don’t want to bias you. You just tell me what you notice that’s different about him in the coming weeks."

I’m on the watch.

A YEAR AGO: Endorphins and Other Lies, Today Show

32 Responses to “no more man bra!”

1. leigha Says:

YEAH for good news! hope more keeps pouring in
    xox

2. Kate Says:

Stephanie, I'm so thrilled for you. Thanks for the update! I'm sure there were a lot of us checking in for one today!

3. cac Says:

That is such great news! I hope this handles it for now, or however long it's intended to…and that positive changes are noted soon! When will he come home? I know you are anxious to see him. Thank God all went well.

4. LolaD Says:

I'm so happy to hear that Phil's surgery was a success!!!!!!!!!

You both were definitely in my thoughts and prayers these past few days and I can't help but admit that I was worried.

You made me laugh out loud with your comment to the doctor.. Hahaha What did Phil's mom think about that one?

Keep us updated!!

5. Jean Says:

Glad everything went well, still praying for you and your family! I think it's funny you are so open in front of your mother in law, glad you got a nice one this time around :-)

6. 3 teens mom Says:

Excellent! Just what we wanted to hear! Continued courage and strength to both of you.

7. rd Says:

sending more warm wishes your way

8. Barbara E. Says:

Such wonderful news! I've been popping in all day, hoping for an update and starting to feel anxious. Did you say "penis" in front of your mother in law?

9. Kay Says:

Thank goodness it went well. I've been thinking about you all day. Now I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what the 'changes' are that the doctor so cryptically mentioned. (I have to admit that my mind went to the same place as yours did…ha!)

10. Bill Says:

Yep. I went downtown, too. Then again, maybe you *will* notice a difference there…

I'm glad that everything went well. Still sending good wishes and hopes.

11. Amy Says:

Hoping you see only positive differences!

12. Suzanne Says:

Thank G-d all seems to have gone well so far. Have been thinking of you all and continue to send positive vibes across town.
    Best,
    Suzanne

13. Caroline Says:

Maybe he won't yell at you for leaving the door open when you pee? Or he suddenly won't care how you decorate the guest room, or if you have a coffee table?

Seriously though, glad he's finally received some good news in the wake of all the scary stuff. Those gorgeous babies of yours need their daddy around for a looooooong time.

14. Marilyn Says:

Great news! I am so happy for you and your family.

15. Tracey Says:

Congrats on the good news. Continued hugs and good thoughts coming your way that its all positive changes and news from here on out.

16. Wendy Says:

So happy to hear all went well. Love you both and can't wait to see the changes now that I know they don't involve Phil's penis.

17. Carole Says:

Wonderful news, Stephanie, that things went well. From this end, I'm keeping up the positive vibes.. You and your mother-in-law are lucky to have such a warm relationship. It's good for her; it's good for Phil; it's good for the kids. And how nice to say goodbye to the man bra!

18. jodi Says:

Naturally, I thought the same thing. I mean, come on…the doctor totally set you up for that!

Still sending you hugs! and prayers!

19. Buffy Says:

Was thinking about you guys yesterday.
    So good to hear.

20. Jerri Says:

Blessings to you all. And to the surgeons who helped Phil.

21. Wendy Says:

I'm so happy to hear this good news. See, there is power in good thoughts. We'll be sending some more your way.

22. BEE Says:

Really Good News! In fact its worthy of… SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDIOUS.

23. Cathy Bueti Says:

So glad to hear the good news Stephanie! I have been reading and hoping, and keeping you and Phil in my thoughts. Sending Phil healing vibs…

24. carolina Says:

Yay! No more man bra! Hurray for the positive changes. So glad Phil's mom was with you. :)

25. Kathy Says:

I'm so happy to hear that all is well. I thought of all of you everytime I opened my internet yesterday.

I can't wait to hear of any changes you notice. Totally laughed at the "downtown" comment, because that was the first thing that came to my mind too!!!!! :)

26. Beth Says:

Soooo glad all went well. :)

27. PastaQueen Says:

Yay! I'm glad to hear it went well.

28. Laura Iriarte Says:

best wishes, (((hugs))) and kisses, to you, phil and the babies for his speedy recovery steph!

29. Manic Mommy Says:

Ooh, it's like a big secret you have to watch out for huh? Like does it mean he'll start bringing home flowers every night, putting the kids to bed, rubbing your feet, buying you decadent chocolate?

Glad to hear the surgery went well.

30. Jenn Bo Says:

I don't comment often, but I just cannot stop thinking about what is happening in your family. My thoughts need expression. Your strength amazes me. I love that you still carried on with family outings like the festival and continue to focus on improving your relationship through counseling. I just keep thinking such positive thoughts for you and your family. From an observer 2400 miles away, I think it's the best I can do.

31. Dick Says:

Wow. I came upon this site looking for penis enlargement sites to spa– er… participate in, and somehow the magic world of the web brings me to this. It really brings it home: Take care of your heart.

I’m glad your husband is OK, and I hope for both of your sake that his penis does get bigger and more powerful out of this ordeal.